Summer in Chiang Mai Visa

Do you need a visa to study in Thailand?

For the Summer in Chiang Mai program, you WILL NOT need to obtain a visa because the program does not exceed the 30 day tourist visa validity period.  

You will be arriving into Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX) on May 25th, and you should plan to depart for home from Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX) on June 24th. Upon your arrival in Chiang Mai, you will receive a stamp in your passport that will serve as your 30-day tourist visa. For this program, you will not need to obtain a visa ahead of time because you will be staying in Thailand for less than 30 days.

It is very important that you stick to this timeline for arrival and departure unless you plan on applying for a 60-day tourist visa prior to entry into Thailand.

thai visa

If you are planning on staying for longer than 30 days, you should apply for a 60-day tourist visa before you depart. If this is the case, there are more instructions for obtaining a 60-day tourist visa prior to your departure in your CISabroad Portal.

If you overstay your visa, you will be charged an overstay fee for each day over your visa you remain in Thailand/

NOTE: When going through immigration upon your arrival, be sure to say that you are visiting Thailand. Do NOT say that you are traveling as a student or for the purpose of study at a Thai University. This will be interpreted as you saying you are enrolling full time at a domestic university, and your visa will be denied.