Semester in Japan Visa

Do you need a visa to study on the Semester in Japan program?

For the Semester in Japan program, you WILL need to obtain a visa. Please make sure you have a valid passport for your travels and check to ensure it will not expire any time within 6 months of your intended return date.

IMPORTANT: CISabroad will advise students on visa procedures for travel requirements for your CISabroad program only. CISabroad is not responsible for advising students on visa issues if they plan to travel internationally before or after the program dates.

These instructions are intended for US passport holders. International students must also be aware of additional documentation and/or processing time needed for their visas. Please contact your Program Coordinator to discuss your visa.

Please note that all consulates have varying visa processing times and/or requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of their assigned consulate’s visa processing period and to send in their complete visa application well enough in advance to allow adequate time for processing. Each consulate lists the visa processing period on their website. Note: Required documents for your visa are always subject to change at the discretion of the consulate.