Intern in New Zealand Visa

Do you need a visa to Intern in New Zealand?

You WILL need to obtain a visa for the Intern in New Zealand program. It’s not a complicated processes, but one you will want to complete 2-4 weeks prior to departure. You can find detailed instructions for how to get your visa at the New Zealand Immigration Website. 

Programs UNDER 90 Days: *It may be possible to apply for the visitor visa upon arrival at customs at Wellington Airport with the proper supporting documentation. We strongly encourage you to complete the application online ahead of time (It should be free for US citizens) Create an account and apply for the visa*

Generally required Documents:

  • Passport
  • Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
  • Evidence of funds

Programs Over 90 Days: Apply for the working holiday visa. Create an account

Please read through this information carefully, as visa instructions can be complicated, and materials can take weeks to obtain.

IMPORTANT: CISabroad will advise students on visa procedures for travel requirements for your CISabroad program only. CISabroad is not responsible for advising students on visa issues if they plan to travel internationally before or after the program dates.

These instructions are intended for US passport holders. International students must also be aware of additional documentation and/or processing time needed for their visas. Please contact your Program Coordinator to discuss your visa.

Please note that all consulates have varying visa processing times and/or requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of their assigned consulate’s visa processing period and to send in their complete visa application well enough in advance to allow adequate time for processing. Each consulate lists the visa processing period on their website. Note: Required documents for your visa are always subject to change at the discretion of the consulate.